Ayca was founded by Mallyeka Watsa and Himani Singh, both of whom went to boarding schools in India, before pursuing degrees in economics and psychology. They worked together for a travel company, and often talked about starting a venture of their own, but it wasn’t until a few years later that the stars aligned and Ayca was born.
Ayca’s recipes have been passed down from Mallyeka’s great grandmother, and use only the purest ingredients, with a commitment to “preserve these ancient crafts and offer a holistic approach to refresh, replenish, and revitalize.” We sat down with Mallyeka and Himani to discuss their beauty regimes, helpful tips (for men and women both, so boys don’t go away), and strategies for stress-free living. Daily beauty regimen?
Himani: I use aloe vera everyday. In the morning instead of a face moisturizer (because I have oily skin) and in the evening as a makeup remover. Aloe vera has restorative and moisturising properties; it also helps with insect bites and even sunburn. I use our aloe and white clay mask twice a week.
Best beauty advice you’ve ever received?
Towels actually carry the most bacteria so boil your face towels before using them. And of course, never go to sleep with makeup.
Top tips for healthy living?
- Drink lemon water every morning and a spoonful of honey. The lemon water flushes the digestive system and honey gives your body a quick boost of nutrients.
- Set aside an hour each to be physically active whether it’s yoga or running or any sort of exercise.
- Replace your deodorant with a natural alternative. We love Maroma's Vinegar with Lavender spray.
- Drinking coconut water everyday helps keeping you hydrated and provides you with essential minerals.
- Remember to make time for relaxation. Sitting in a quiet, dim room with music and burning diffuser oils is a great way to end the day.
Favourite Ayca products?
Himani: Jasmine Aloe Vera Gel, Tea tree & Peppermint Body Wash and the Jasmine & Rose White Clay & Aloe Vera Mask.
Mallyeka: The Oudh Wood collection, the Rose & Sandalwood Face Scrub, the Bergamot Cardamom Ginger Body Oil and the Lemongrass & Turmeric Aloe Vera Gel.
DIY bath or body recipes?
- Mix Himalayan pink salt with base oil for a body scrub.
- Apply raw papaya or raw potato for skin lightening.
- Mix milk or malai and oats or ground masoor dal as a face scrub for dry skin.
Mix dahi with oats or ground masoor dal and a dash of turmeric as a face scrub for oily skin. The 3 things you never leave home without?
Himani: Face mist, kajal pencil, and headphones.
Mallyeka: Aloe vera gel, red lipstick, and a planner and pencil.
Beauty tips for men? Best Ayca products for men?
Don't be afraid to use skin products. Our Oudh Wood Body Wash moisturises the skin and leaves a lingering masculine scent and our aftershave balm heals cuts and is nourishing to the skin. We love this collection and are working on extending it.
Himani: The Summer House, Three, En Inde, Artisau and Le Labo.
Mallyeka: Aesop, Eka, Kichu, Monki and Injiri.
Top holiday spots, for when you are looking to destress?
Himani: Sri Lanka, Ladakh, Italy and Karaikudi.
Mallyeka: Andamans, Nagaon, Croatia and Bhutan.
Ayca helped us put together a nifty travel essentials kit, which you can view here. For more information on Ayca, visit their website or follow them on Facebook and Instagram.
Image of Mallyeka and Himani taken by Sachin Soni.